Friday, January 6, 2017

Flatbasset Radio: Episode #90 (Best Of 2016 - Radio K Track Of The Day)


I might as well say what you mean to me...


Well hello, yet again, everybody! Welcome to Flatbasset Radio's countdown of the 10 best Radio K Track Of The Day songs of 2016!

That's right, two podcasts in one week! 2017 going in already!

Much like the last episode, this show is a countdown of free songs given away by a radio station. Unlike The Current's SOTD podcast, I haven't been following along with Radio K for quite as long. This marks just my third annual countdown of their top tracks.

The Best Of 2015
The Best Of 2014

Sadly, it seems as though this will probably be the last of the Radio K countdowns. Unfortunately they've done away with the Track Of The Day podcast and replaced it with a Spotify-based Radio K Singles Club. Somewhat ironically, I don't really fuck with streaming sites, so I won't be playing along with that one. They've also launched a K Sessions podcast that spotlights the best of the in-studio performances each month. It's been going since October and they skipped November and went right to December, so forgive me for being skeptical about its future.

None of that, however, has anything to do with today's countdown. If this really is the last year of a Radio K song-based podcast, it was a killer. Lots of great jams to choose from. As per tradition with year end countdowns I've limited by characters to 140 short-attention-span-holding characters.


As always, Flatbasset Radio is completely free. I've finally set up a decent downloading site, so if you'd like to download Flatbasset Radio: Episode #90 (with all the appropriate iTunes tagging), just click here.

If you don't have the time or desire to download the show, just click the Mixcloud player below and you're good to go. 



(Note: I forgot to plug in Robot Ralph after he co-hosted the Episode #89 countdown, so his juice was running out during this show. He's a trouper, though.)





10. Pale Spectre - A Song To My Dearest And Most Scornful Lovers - If Peter Murphy & Johnny Marr tried to write a Buzzcocks album they'd end up with Pale Spectre.



09. Sir Was - Falcon -I love the way this song starts at the bottom for each chorus regenerates itself. The Swedes know how to sell a hook.



08. Grape Whales - Middle Child - Another great new local band. Love how they just abandon the vocals for a second half guitar freakout.




07. James Supercave - Better Strange  - James Supercave is a group out of famously plastic L.A., which makes this hip-swinging rage against the status quo hit a bit harder.



06. Eagulls - Skipping - Is "Post-Brit Pop" a genre? I feel like Eagulls are post-Brit Pop.



05. William Tyler - Sunken Treasure - This song instantly transports me from frigid Minneapolis to an open highway with rolling hills & the windows down. I swear, it's magic.



04. Elohim - Sensations - I'm not usually about that "poptimist" lifestyle, but this song makes my ears bleed serotonin. Plus, there's no sex like floor sex.



03. Wages - Rattlesnake - I love the relentless forward trajectory of this one. Telling someone they take, take, take away the pain is the most honest compliment.



02. Hot Hot Heat - Kid Who Stays In The Picture - I still love Hot Hot Heat. Steve Bays' wrapping that voice around a hook will always bring me to a happy place.



01. The Pooches - Heart Attack
The Pooches were my favorite discovery of 2016. I've had this song pegged as #1 on this show since it came out in February. Check 'em out!






There you have it, folks. Back to regular shows next week




For more of my rantings you can give me a follow on Twitter (@TCDroogsma).  Previous episodes of Flatbasset Radio are archived on my Mixcloud page.  Stop by Flatbasset Radio's Facebook Page & give it a "Like" if you have the time.