Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Flatbasset Radio: Episode #89 (Best Of 2016 - The Current Song Of The Day)


I've been blessed with shit luck...


Hello again, everybody! Welcome To Flatbasset Radio: Episode #89! It's time to count down the Top 10 Current Song Of The Day tracks of 2016!

First things first, it was absolutely a coincidence that this show fell on Episode #89. Swear to god.

Second, on to the countdown. As you may have noticed over the years, I'm a tremendous fan of The Current's Song Of The Day podcast. I've downloaded every episode since 2007 and still listen to them all via a weekly system that is far more complicated than it should be. It's a lot of music, man. I needed a system.

As you can imagine, not all of the songs are winners. However, each year I end up with 25-30 real gems. I spend December whittling down the list and do the countdown show during the first week of January each year. Check out these links for more countdowns

The Best Of 2012
The Best Of 2013
The Best Of 2014
The Best Of 2015

It's at this point I feel I should mention that neither myself nor the podcast is in any way affiliated with The Current or NPR. Maybe someday they'll let me play my show on the air. Seems unlikely, but who knows what the future holds?

I highly recommend you head over to The Current's website and subscribe to the podcast yourself. Like I said, it's not all winners, but it's mostly winners, and when was the last time you mostly won at anything?

Alright, now that that's all out of the way, let's get to the countdown! As per yearly recap tradition, I'll limit my thoughts on each track to 140 characters.

As always, Flatbasset Radio is completely free. I've finally set up a decent downloading site, so if you'd like to download Flatbasset Radio: Episode #89 (with all the appropriate iTunes tagging), just click here.

If you don't have the time or desire to download the show, just click the Mixcloud player below and you're good to go.






10. Car Seat Headrest - Fill In The Blank - This remains the only CSH song I've ever heard, but damn is it good. Clever, bitter power pop will always have a home on this show.



09. Mild High Club - Skiptracing - Sounds like it was recorded by the poolside veranda of an AM radio station in 1968. Which I mean as a compliment.



08. Cecil Otter - Cross Countries - Low key probably my favorite Doomtree MC & producer, this new EP was Cecil Otter's first solo release since '08. It's been a long time comin'.



07. Operators - Cold Light - Short of driving to my apartment & punching this show's titular basset hound Dan Boekner will always make these lists.



06. Porches - Car - Having owned a car for years (but not for the past four), they are incredible machines. As are synthesizers. Good stuff.



05. Tickle Torture - Full Court Press (w/Velvet Negroni) - The Prince tribute we all deserved.



04. The Jayhawks - Comeback Kids - The Jayhawks are one of those bands that could tweak their sound a thousand different ways & still deliver the goods. Another classic.
03. BADBADNOTGOOD - Time Moves Slow (w/Samuel T. Herring) - Pace is the trick. Sam Herring doing his best Bobby Womack impression doesn't hurt.



02. PUP - Can't Win - Real talk, PUP. Real talk.



01. Whitney - No Woman - Instant classic. Sounds timeless. This is what I imagine Chicago would sound like if they weren't one of the five worst bands ever.







There you have it, folks. Big thanks to Robot Ralph for co-hosting the show.




For more of my rantings you can give me a follow on Twitter (@TCDroogsma).  Previous episodes of Flatbasset Radio are archived on his Mixcloud page.  Stop by Flatbasset Radio's Facebook Page & give it a "Like" if you have the time.