Monday, October 21, 2013

Album Of The Week: October 21-27, 2013


My Album Of The Week for the week of October 21st-27th, 2013:


Holographic Sands - House Ghost

A few weeks back MinneSarah I reviewed a song called "Take Off" by Holographic Sands for Songs Of The Week #60 over on Newest Industry.  MinneSarah is a bigger fan of this than I am.  Where she heard, "elements of the sixties garage rock and country pop that influenced the whole of American pop for years to come,"  I heard just a straight take on that old Buddy Holly-type rock & roll.

However, as I've learned repeatedly (most recently with Speed's The Name's No Planets Exist), just because I don't like one song by a band doesn't mean I won't like the band.  I headed over to Holographic Sands Bandcamp page just to find out a little more about the band and ended up downloading this House Ghost EP.

I gave it a spin a couple of days ago and it appears Holographic Sands and I may have gotten off on the wrong foot.  This EP has a less produced sound, but more importantly, is delightfully skewed, at times sounding like one of Frank Black's more laid-back efforts (think Honeycomb).  At the very least this is worth spending a week with.