Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Album Of The Week: Decemberr 23-29, 2013


My Album Of The Week for the week of December 23rd-29th, 2013:


Wild Ghosts - No Coast

A couple of weeks back I was writing about The Persian Leaps and mentioned how nice it was to hear a band that eschewed making a racket for front-and-center vocals.  Well, after spending that week with The Persian Leaps (and the subsequent two with Allan Kingdom & Homeless), I figured I'd spend a week with somebody who puts racket first.

I can't remember exactly how I found out about Wild Ghosts.  It was definitely a case of falling down a Last.fm or Bandcamp Recommendations wormhole.  Regardless, I somehow stumbled onto their Bandcamp page and decided to give No Coast a chance.

Wild Ghosts is a rough listen the first few times.  Coherent vocals are difficult to pick up until the fifth song and, once that ends, they're rarely heard from again.  The band works its way into grooves that are not readily apparent, which is why Wild Ghosts makes for such a perfect AOTW record.  I'm really hoping that, over the course of a week, the ideas buried somewhere in the reverb & organ & feedback are going to show themselves.