Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Album Of The Week: December 2-8, 2013


My Album Of The Week for the week of December 2nd-December 8th, 2013:


The Persian Leaps - Praise Elephants

The Persian Leaps were brought to my attention by, well, The Persian Leaps.

My friends and I have been working on our Twin Cities blog Newest Industry (and it's predecessor All Tensed Up) for over two years to complete indifference from the public.  Then, a couple of months ago, one of the members of The Persian Leaps contacted me and asked if I'd give Praise Elephants a listen.  Being one of the international leaders in the field of procrastination, I had a responsibility, nay, an obligation, to do absolutely nothing about this request.

Now, the key to maintaining a reputation as an expert procrastinator is to get around to everything eventually.  This week that means making Praise Elephants my album of the week.

Honestly, the timing worked out brilliantly.  For the last couple of months I've been listening to a lot of shoegaze/fuzzed out rock n roll music.  Putting on Praise Elephants was like switching from AM to FM radio.  Where most of the bands I've been listening to lately list atmospherics over melody, The Persian Leaps go the opposite way.  At their core, the songs of Praise Elephants are good, old-fashioned power-pop.  Listening through the EP a couple of times they have 90's-esque sound that aims for the sweet spot of my nostalgia-tinged mind.  In face the first band that came to mind was the Gin Blossoms.  If you know me, you know that is a sincere compliment.


If you'd like to give it a listen for yourself it's available as a "Name Your Price" download over at The Persian Leaps Bandcamp page.  The band is also playing a show at Cause on December 19th with End Quotes & Brilliant Beast.  You can read more about that on their website here.