Monday, November 18, 2013

Album Of The Week: November 18-24, 2013


My Album Of The Week for the week of November 18th-24th, 2013:


The Central Division - Neighbor Of The Beast

I found out about The Central Division in just about the most roundabout way possible.  A few months back a local band called Citroën started following me on Twitter.  As such I went to their Bandcamp page to check out their music (and ended up downloading their Anachronaut EP, a previous AOTW).  After listening to their album I clicked on their "Recommendations" and found a single by The Central Division titled "It's Not The Heat, It's The Humility" (which I ended up playing on Flatbasset Radio: Episode #22).



(Quick Apology Sidenote:  If you do happen to listen to that podcast I mention that The Central Division is broken up.  FALSE!  They are not broken up.  That's what I get for not doing my research.)

Long story longer, I spent a week with each song from the It's Not The Heat, It's The Humility single and their 3 Songs EP.  I enjoyed each thoroughly enough that the next logical step was to spend a week with their LP Neighbor Of The Beast.

So here we are.  After listening to those previous EP's I thought The Central Division was in line with turn-of-the-century punk bands like Brand New and Taking Back Sunday.  Upon further listen, however, there's definitely an art-rock strain along the lines of Sunny Day Real Estate.

Anyway, all of that music is available on their Bandcamp page.  Give it a spin or two.