Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Album Of The Week: November 11-17, 2013


My Album Of The Week for the week of November 11th-17th, 2013:


MaLLy - Strange Rhythm

After a few years of bubbling underground MaLLy finally staked his claim in the Twin Cities hip-hop scene with last year's The Last Great, a collaboration with producer The Sundance Kid.  His profile in Minneapolis has only grown since then.  He's released a couple of songs since then, but Strange Rhythm is his highly anticipated official follow up.

Hopefully most of you remember that I opened Flatbasset Radio: Episode #21 with "Dead Art Painting," the first track off Strange Rhythm.  That track is indicative of the project as a whole, with Last Word (of the Get Cryphy crew) providing a more sparse canvas than The Sundance Kid.  Strange Rhythm is an intriguing EP for two reasons:  First, MaLLy is no longer rapping from the position of "underdog," a stance that shines through somewhat angrily on tracks like "Guillotine" and "Every Promise."  Second, if I'm not mistaken, Strange Rhythm is the first project Last Word has produced in its entirety.

I'm not going to write much more about this one since I haven't spent much time with it yet.  I'm definitely looking forward to spending the week with it.  It's available on MaLLy's Bandcamp site and I definitely recommend that you give it a spin.