Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Newest Industry Presents: Flatbasset Radio - Episode #1


(THIS POST ORIGINALLY APPEARS ON THE TWIN CITIES BLOG NEWEST INDUSTRY. PLEASE CLICK THAT LINK AND GIVE THAT BLOG A LOOK IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.  WE'RE WORKING REALLY HARD ON THAT ONE.)

"I guess this is my dissertation, homey, this shit is basic..."



Well hello, music fans, and welcome to the inaugural episode of Flatbasset Radio!

For those of you unfamiliar with Flatbasset, it's the work of our regular contributor TCDroogsma.  For years now he's been posting mixes of songs online each month under the name Flatbasset.  Evidently he's decided to change things up a little bit.

(Click play on the embedded player above to listen to the podcast. Click the link below to download the podcast.)

Flatbasset Radio - Episode #1

In this episode TCDroogsma claims the British government is hoarding rappers, explains the best Halloween he ever had, recaps the "Get Out The Vote" show at First Avenue, steals an idea from Sound Opinions, and laments Morrissey's ill mother.

Still, we're all new to this so, TCDroogsma, what gives?

Boy, that's a concise question.  Basically, I've been making those Flatbasset mixes for a few years now and I've found that they are not very successful.  I decided to change it up a little bit by turning the mixes into a podcast where I break up the songs by talking a little bit.

That was your plan?  To break up a bunch of great songs with your rabbling?

Well, when you frame it that way it doesn't make much sense.  More accurately, it wasn't quite fair just labeling it a "mix" as that implied that it was some chopped up party starter, which it obviously wasn't.

Plus, I realized that people weren't really reading the bits I wrote about each song.  Since people hate reading I thought they might rather listen to me explain why the songs are great.

So you don't think people like to read and yet you spend nearly all of your free time blogging?

(Sigh...)

Alright, let's get to this episode then.  Anything we need to know about it? 

Well, this was my first go at a podcast, so you just have to bear with me.  I think it turned out pretty well though.  Here's what the playlist looks like:

01. Kanye West
02. Nirvana
03. JJ Doom
04. PJ Harvey
05. Big Quarters (w/Sims)
06. Ryan Adams
07. Eyedea & Abilities
08. Air
09. Mark Mallman
10. MaLLy
11. I Self Devine
12. Brother Ali
13. The Smiths

Really, just give it a listen.  Even if you find my voice grating and my stories insufferable, the songs fucking kill.

Well alright then.  TCDroogsma, thanks for stopping by to explain yourself. 

Thanks.  I plan on doing this each week, so you'll be hearing from me a lot in the near future.

Great... great...

For more TCDroogsma you can give him a follow on Twitter or Instagram (@TCDroogsma) or check out his own blog Flatbasset.

This blog also has a Twitter home (@NewestIndustry1) that you should follow to stay up on all the work our contributors are doing.  More importantly we have a Facebook page here.  Be sure to stop by and give us a "like" if you have a minute.  Enough "likes" and we can get TCDroogsma a real microphone to record these things.