Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Album Of The Week: March 17th-23rd, 2014


My Album Of The Week for the week of March 17th-23rd, 2014:



The Miami Dolphins - Capri Sun

01. Pink Bird
02. Minted Slime
03. Hissing Priss
04. Doodler
05. Dominion
06. Venice Beach Widowed
07. Chaste

The Miami Dolphins are one of those bands that have been living around the periphery of my awareness for a while now.  For reasons I'm not totally sure of I haven't checked them out until now.

On its first few spins, Capri Sun seems to be a charmingly ramshackle punk album.  If you're going to put out a record that jams 7 songs into a mere 9 minutes, there's really only two ways to go: be super tight or super energetic (or, I suppose, both).  Unlike last week's AOTW, Cave (which built its sound on a lock-step rhythm), The Miami Dolphins build their sound on pure energy.  Yes, it's sloppy, but that's kind of the point.  I'd be shocked to learn that any of these songs was given a second take in the studio.

Capri Sun (which my Minnesotan accent pronounces as "Caaapri Sun") should be an entertaining listen over the course of the week.  It's been my experience over the years that albums like this tend to reveal their borders & base ideas with repeated listens.  Right now, it sounds like a 9 minute song with several tempo changes and not much else.  Come Sunday I'm sure the hooks will be rattling around in my head.

This record came out back in the summer of 2012.  The band is set to release a new album this summer, so swing by their Bandcamp page to get caught up on the story so far.