Saturday, March 15, 2014

Album Of The Week: March 10th-16th, 2014


My Album Of The Week for the week of March 10th-16th, 2014:


Mrs. - Cave

01. Cave
02. Yawn
03. Jillions
04. Supple
05. Tissues
06. Throb
07. Wad

First off, let me apologize for not writing this post earlier.  Typically I like to get these posted at the start of the week, but I've been tied up with real life jobs for the last week.  This album, however, has soundtracked the week, so let's get to it.

I know almost nothing about Mrs.  I found out about this record when somebody (I think it was one of the guys in Human Kindness) tweeted about it last week.  Having spent the previous week with Medium Zach's excellent Valued Input EP, I was ready to spend the week with some guitars.

Fortunately, Mrs. have guitars to spare.  Cave is part math rock, part boogie, and a thoroughly enjoyable listen.  Imagine if Antelope decided they were going to write sex jams.  That's Cave.  Each song catches a groove, plows forward, and delivers sneaky good hooks and solid performance.  While there's no genuine standout track (though "Yawn" is probably going to make an appearance on the podcast soon), there's no let down either.  Just 28 minutes of deconstructed, over-sexed math rock.

Cave is a available as a "Name Your Price" download over on Mrs. Bandcamp page. I suggest giving it a spin.