Monday, January 27, 2014

Album Of The Week: January 27th-February 2nd, 2014


My Album Of The Week for the week off January 27th-February 2nd, 2014:


Marijuana Deathsquads - Oh My Sexy Lord

If you've been following this blog or the podcast you already know that I've become a huge fan of Marijuana Deathsquads.

When they first rose from the ashes of Building Better Bombs I didn't quite get it.  They built a reputation on their noisy, improvised live shows, which is all well and good, but that lead to two things:

1)  I'm old and I don't really go to shows very often (let alone late night, improvisational, percussion-heavy shows).

2)  Initially they weren't quite able to translate the sound & fury of those shows to an album.

Well, since that false start of a debut album (2011's Crazy Master), they've put out an excellent hip-hop-based mixtape (the excellent Tamper Disable Destroy) and finally harnessing their live show by simply recording a few and then touching them up in post-production (the brilliant Music Rocks I & II).  Both of those records were previous AOTW's and they only got better.  With Oh My Sexy Lord, MDS is trying their hand again at maximizing the studio.  I'm sure it'll take at least a week for me to digest this one, but these guys have been building towards a straight "classic" album for a few years.  Maybe this is it.


If you'd like to have your day ruined, check out the video for "Ewok Sadness," the opening track from Oh My Sexy Lord.  That is just about the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen. It just destroys me. Poor lil' dude.