Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Flatbasset Radio: Episode #113 (Best Of 2017 - The Current Song Of The Day)


It's been a long, hard year...


Well hello again, podcast fans! Welcome to Flatbasset Radio: Episode #113!

Folks, it's the first show of the new year. If you've been following the show for a while you know that I like to start every new year by looking back at the old year. Well, 2018 is no different. Yeah, we're two weeks into it, but I've been busy and haven't had time to sit down and properly assemble the countdown. However, time has been carved, songs have been reviewed, rankings assigned. Time to count down the 10 best Song Of The Day tracks given away by The Current.

This is an annual tradition here at Flatbasset Radio and it is absolutely one of my favorite shows to do each year. While I may have my beefs with The Current, I've been religiously devoted to their Song Of The Day podcast since '07. That's ten years worth of songs now! And I still work my way through all of them every single year (including the back catalog!). Is this healthy? No. But hell, what else have I got to do? They're not all classics, but every year I'm turned on to something new for the low, low price of free.99. I can't complain.

Before we get to this year's countdown, a few links. First, previous Current SOTD countdowns:

Flatbasset Radio: Episode #7 (Best Of 2012)
Flatbasset Radio: Episode #28 (Best Of 2013)
Flatbasset Radio: Episode #52 (Best Of 2014)
Flatbasset Radio: Episode #70 (Best Of 2015)
Flatbasset Radio: Episode #89 (Best Of 2016)

 Of note: Flatbasset Radio: Episode #7 is posted here as a download from Archive.org because the show was "disabled" on Mixcloud. Not sure what that means, but I was so bad at doing the show back then that they probably took it down out of embarrassment.

Second, follow this link to head over to The Current and subscribe to the podcast for yourself. As you're about to hear, they give away some absolute classics.

The format of the show has changed a bit over the years, but I like the way last year's countdown played out, so I invited Robot Ralph to lead the countdown this year. No banter, just jams.

As always, Flatbasset Radio is completely free. I've finally set up a decent downloading site, so if you'd like to download Flatbasset Radio: Episode #113 (with all the appropriate iTunes tagging), just click here.

If you don't have the time or desire to download the show, just click the Mixcloud player below and you're good to go.



Alright, here we go!






10. The Weeks - Talk Like That





09. Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines (w/King Krule)





08. Wolf Parade - You're Dreaming





07. Heiruspecs - Relativity





06. Tyte Jeff - 1952





05. Kate Tempest - Europe Is Lost





04. Actual Wolf - Faded Days





03. Alex Lahey - Wes Anderson





02. Jens Lekman - Evening Prayer





01. Stanley - Brewin' Up










There you have it, folks. As a reminder, I paid no money for these songs and I receive no money for this podcast. I'm just a guy counting down the hits. Please don't sue me.




For more of my rantings you can give me a follow on Twitter (@TCDroogsma).  Previous episodes of Flatbasset Radio are archived on my Mixcloud page.  Stop by Flatbasset Radio's Facebook Page & give it a "Like" if you have the time.