Saturday, July 14, 2018

Flatbasset Radio: Episode #131 (American Album Hall Of Fame - Class Of 2018)


While I'm alive I'll feel alive...


Well hello again, everybody! Welcome to Flatbasset Radio: Episode #131!

Folks, last Sunday we celebrated some of the finest work coming from our brothers & sisters in the Great White North. Now, I may be a few days late, however, it was just America's birthday which means it's time for my favorite episode of the year. That's right, it's time to induct six new albums into the Flatbasset Radio American Album Hall Of Fame.

Before we get to this year's inductees, let me bombard you with some links to the previous induction ceremonies:

Class Of 2015 (Part I)
Class Of 2015 (Part II)

Class Of 2016 (Part I)
Class Of 2016 (Part II)

Class Of 2017 (Part I)
Class Of 2017 (Part II) 

Note - The links above are for the previous blog post and the Archive.org MP3's. For reasons that have yet to be sufficiently explained to me Mixcloud takes down each episode of this show. I'd be angry, but it's a free site. You get what you pay for.

Before we get to the albums, though, here's a quick reminder of the FRAAHOF's criteria:

01. An album must be at least 10 years old to be inducted into the FRAAHOF

02. Only 6 albums per year may be inducted

03. Only 2 of those 6 albums may have been released over 30 years ago

04. No artist can appear in consecutive years 

So, with those criteria in mind, here's a look at this year's inductees:


This year's class is a curious one in that it contains a couple of first-ballot Hall Of Famers, a couple that may only be FRAAHOF-worthy to me, and a couple undeniable pillars of American alternative rock. Unlike previous years, we're upping the song count to four per album plus plenty of me rabblin' on trying (and failing) to adequately explain my reasoning behind their enshrinement. It's a good time.

So, now that you know, here's what the Flatbasset Radio American Album Hall Of Fame looks like as of today:


Pretty sexy. This stupid concept is really taking shape.

Alright, let's get to this year's show.

As always, Flatbasset Radio is completely free. I've finally set up a decent downloading site, so if you'd like to download Flatbasset Radio: Episode #131 (with all the appropriate iTunes tagging), click here for Part 1 & here for Part 2.

Now, let's get to it:

Part 1:






01. The Hollows
02. Fatalist Palmistry
03. By Torpedo Or Crohn's
04. These Few Presidents



05. Hooligans
06. Intro/Bloodclot
07. Corazon De Oro
08. Who Would've Thought?




09. Bone Machine
10. Gigantic
11. Break My Body
12. Where Is My Mind?








Part 2:






01. Heartless
02. Coldest Winter
03. Say You Will
04. Street Lights



05. Fine And Good
06. All Right (Oh, Yeah)
07. Lucky Time
08. All The Kids Are Right



09. Radio Free Europe
10. Catapult
11. Perfect Circle
12. Talk About The Passion









Flatbasset Radio Artwork by Ross Auger
American Flag by Betsy Ross

Thanks for listening!




For more of my rantings you can give me a follow on Twitter (@TCDroogsma).  Previous episodes of Flatbasset Radio are archived on my Mixcloud page.  Stop by Flatbasset Radio's Facebook Page & give it a "Like" if you have the time.