Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Album Of The Week: April 7th-13th, 2014


My Album Of The Week for the week of April 7th-13th, 2014:


Rogue Valley - Crater Lake

01. The Warming Moon
02. Red River Of The North
03. English Ivy
04. I-5 Love Affair
05. Hummingbird
06. Crater Lake
07. Rope Swing Over Rogue Valley
08. Ursa Minor
09. The Occidental Hotel
10. The Planting Moon
11. Slack Water
12. El-Ay


One of the longest and most deeply held traditions here at Flatbasset Radio is to be almost comically late to new music.  Spending the week with Rogue Valley's Crater Lake is merely the latest example of me finally getting around to something I probably should have checked out years ago.

Most of you are probably already familiar with Rogue Valley.  Back in 2010, local luminary Chris Koza decided to abandon his solo moniker for a year and create the band Rogue Valley.  They went into speed recording mode and cranked out four albums over the course of a single year.  The idea behind Rogue Valley was to put out one album for each season.  That's a lot of meticulous, pop-folk music.

(Check out "Red River Of The North" to find out just what I mean by "meticulous pop-folk.")


Well, now that yet another difficult winter seems to be finally giving way to spring (knocks on every piece of wood in apartment), I thought I'd beginning working my way through the Rogue Valley collection by listening to Crater Lake, the album they created for spring.  Much to my surprise, when I went to Rogue Valley's Bandcamp page, I found that each of these four albums is available as a "Pay What You Want" download.  As such, I intend to spend the first week of each season (roughly) with each of these four albums.  Rogue Valley is going to have a pretty dominant 2014 here at Planet New Basset.