Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Songs Of The Week #29: TCDroogsma


(THIS POST ORIGINALLY APPEARS ON THE TWIN CITIES BLOG NEWEST INDUSTRY)

Mount Moriah, Jamie Lidell, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Beach Fossils, & Gloss...


Well hello again, mp3 junkies! Welcome to Songs Of The Week #29!

For those of you who don't know quite what you're looking at, here's the story. Each week we ask two of our contributors to download and listen to the songs given away via The Current's Song Of The Day podcast. As always, we highly suggest that you head over to The Current's website and subscribe to the podcast yourself. Free music is free music.

Once they've given the songs a thorough listen we have them write a review of the songs and given them a rating of 1-5. As always, you can have your say in which song was the best by voting in the poll on the right side of the page.

Sadly, as has been the case for a month now, only one of our contributors has had the time to indulge in these songs. So yet again, all we have to offer you is TCDroogsma's thoughts on the songs. Considering his social life, its pretty much a lock that he'll always be free to throw his thoughts out there.

So, Droogsy, thoughts?

01. Mount Moriah – Bright Light (from the album Miracle Temple)


TCDroogsma:

     There's a lot to like about "Bright Light."  Mount Moriah works up a nice country-fried groove and lead singer Heather McEntire does a fine job doing her best Neko Case impression.  The problem with "Bright Light" is that it never escapes average.  Honestly, it's difficult to work up an opinion one way or another about this one.  It's solid, I suppose.  I certainly don't dislike it, but if I never heard it again I wouldn't be sad.  And if I ever do hear it again I probably won't even notice.

Final Score: 2.5/5

02. Jamie Lidell – What A Shame (from the album Jamie Lidell)


TCDroogsma:

     So, full disclosure here:  I only have a loose idea of what dubstep is supposed to sound like.  I feel like I should apologize for that, but I'm not going to.  I'm 31 years old for Christ's sake!  If I was being paid to write about music I'd take the time to figure it out.  Since I have to spend 40 hours a week stocking shelves I'm just not devoting the time to it.

     Why do I bring this up?  Because in my ill-informed mind, "What A Shame" sounds like an artist trying to turn dubstep into pop.  As mentioned above, it's possible that I'm completely off base on this whole this.  More to the point, I don't particularly like this song.  Lidell certainly sings it like he means it, but the racket going on behind him never develops into any sort of groove.  If this is just an exercise in genre-hopping for Mr. Lidell then I hope he cashes in.  If I'm wrong about this being dubstep-ish and this is a wholly originally creation by Lidell then... yipes.

Final Score: 1.5/5

03. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – So Good At Being In Trouble (from the album II)

TCDroogsma:

     Before I get into this song, take the four minutes it takes and listen to the song.  Seriously, give it a go.  I'll wait.

     (Waiting... waiting... waiting...)

     Pretty great, right?  Now, listen to it again and try to imagine what it would sound like if it was sped up, given a horn part, and maybe a couple backup singers.  You know what this song sounds like to me?  It sounds like a great, lost Motown classic!  Add in those things I mentioned (and some ballin' matching light blue suits) and you're listening to a Temptations song.  Hell, UMO even fades it out instead of giving it a full stop just like the classics.  I genuinely couldn't enjoy this song more.  The band does a fine job of taking Berry Gordy's rules for writing hit songs and giving them a white boy, indie twist.

Final Score: 4/5

04. Beach Fossils – Generational Synthetic (from the album Clash The Truth)


TCDroogsma:

     This is the third time in four weeks that The Current has laid a scratchy, lo-fi jam at my feet.  First it was Parquet Courts (fuzzy, post-punky, awesome), then it was Broncho (fuzzy, indie-punky, pretty awesome) and now Beach Fossils (fuzzy, stoney, pretty good).

     As you can see, the trajectory of awesomeness is on the downswing.  Beach Fossils may be from Brooklyn, but the first shared vibe that comes to mind is Wavves.  The stoner vibe that runs throughout the song definitely gives it a lazy swagger.  Whereas Parquet Courts & Broncho are clearly putting all their energy into being a cohesive unit, "Generational Synthetic" sounds like its authors could genuinely give a fuck less what anybody thinks of the song.  And that attitude, ironically, makes it more likable.

Final Score: 3/5

05. Gloss – Ian's Dream (from the 7” Front Porch)



TCDroogsma:

     I can't remember the last time I was as excited about a local band as I am about Gloss.  Back in November we reviewed "Front Porch," the A-side from this 7".  If memory serves, both MinneSarah & I compared the guitar work to vintage Johnny Marr (though I think I decided that was too much praise and settled on really great Peter Buck).

     Well here we are in February and we're presented with "Ian's Dream," the B-side.  If Gloss had just hit on the vintage-Marr guitar work again I would have been thrilled.  Instead, what we're treated to here, is a less urgent song that immediately calls to mind Minus The Bear.  The rhythm section is tight, the vocals are understated yet catchy, and the guitar.... oh, that guitar.  Perhaps referencing Peter Buck was selling these guys short.  Everything about "Ian's Dream" comes together perfectly.  A pop gem that could have come from 1987 or 2007.

Final Score: 4/5

There you have it, folks! Another week's worth of songs downloaded, reviewed, and filed away.

As always, neither Newest Industry nor its contributors is in any way affiliated with the artists reviewed, The Current, or MPR. We're just music fans with laptops and little too much time on our hands.



For more TCDroogsma, be sure to give him a follow on Twitter (@TCDroogsma). He can also be found right here on Newest Industry hosting our free weekly podcast Flatbasset Radio.

For more Newest Industry, be sure to give us a follow on Twitter (@NewestIndustry1) to stay up on the work being done by all of our contributors. More importantly, we have a Facebook page here. Trivial as it seems stopping by and giving us a “Like” is a free & legitimate way to support the blog.