Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Flatbasset-December '09

Here it is, kids. Last mix of the year. Honestly, I think it's one of the best I've put together (I've been acquiring records like crazy the last couple of weeks). I loaded it a little differently this month, but you should be able to download it the same way as always. Y'know... click, letters, numbers, audio gold...

Flatbasset - December '09

01. Iggy Pop - Tell Me A Story

I was listening to The Current on Thanksgiving and they were running a bunch of episodes of Theft Of The Dial. I heard this song during Black Francis’ set. He was singing the praises of this album, New Values, from 1979. After listening to it a few times it made perfect sense that Black Francis would recommend it. You can hear it all over those old Pixies records.

02. BK-One (w/Aceyalone, Myka 9, & Abstract Rude) - Mega

BK-One is Brother Ali’s DJ, which means he’s tied up most of the time. I read that when he has free time he and his wife like to travel. At one point they went to Brazil and he spent most of the trip crate digging. He took all those old Brazilian records, chopped ‘em up, called some fantastic MC’s (Ali, Slug, Murs, Print, I Self, Black Thought…) and put together this Radio Do Canibal album and it’s fantastic! If I would have told you that the best Brazilian-influenced hip-hop album ever would have come out of Minnesota you wouldn’t have believed me, would you?

03. Thao With The Get Down, Stay Down - When We Swam

My favorite November Current song. “Oh, bring your hips to me…” is one hell of a pick up line.




This is Thao With The Get Down, Stay Down. If you know me you know why this is funny.

04. Death From Above 1979 - Black History Month (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Remix)

Has there ever been a band better suited for remixes than DFA 1979? I not really a fan of remixes in general, and the original version of this song kills, but Alan Braxe & Fred Falke (whoever they are) did a lovely job of fleshing this song out.

05. Wale (w/Gucci Mane) - Pretty Girls

I like Wale because he’s a great example of the way “mainstream” and “underground” are words that are increasingly difficult to use to describe hip-hop. I guarantee that if I ever host a party, Attention Deficit is going to get major play (and you pretty girls better clap clap).

Sidenote: I had to put this song on there just so I could say Gucci Mane turned up on one of my mixes (“Yellow stones on my wrist remind me of a Slushee”). WTFuck, Gucci?

06. The Hold Steady - Magazines

New York does get pretty heavy, believe me.

07. Har Mar Superstar (w/Karen O) - Cut Me Up

This has to be one of the most criminally underrated singles in the history of Minnesota music. Instead of being over the top graphic, Har Mar toes the line nicely. I also like the fact that this song essentially has two choruses (“Cut me up, break me off baby…” “cut me up, uh uh owww”) Why save hooks for other songs when you can just jam them into one fucking great song?

Sidenote: This song is better then all the songs off It’s Blitz! combined.

08. F. Stokes & Lazerbeak (w/Mictlan) - Blessings

I was at work a couple of weeks back and Mictlan passed along a copy of Death Of A Handsome Bride, Stokes & Beak's EP. I remembered Stokes jumping on stage with Beak & Mictlan at the Mercury Lounge a while back and dropping this song and I was very impressed.

I love Mictlan’s verse on this song for two reasons, 1. It turns the song from Chicago to Minneapolis and 2. Shout out to tofu!

09. Why? - Into The Shadows Of My Embrace

I was a little skeptical when I picked up Eskimo Snow a while back. Alopecia was a nearly-perfect album and Eskimo Snow was being marketed as the songs that “didn’t fit” with Alopecia (they were recorded at the same time in MPLS. That’s right, two of the best left-field pop albums and the best Brazilian-based hip hop album were both out of Minneap. It's not all Slug and Paul Westerberg, kids). However, I guess the reason the songs were left off is because they’re even more “indie rock” than Alopecia, which is a great thing (note the guitar freak-out at the end of this one). This record is going to get so many plays while I try to get through this winter.

10. Attracted To Gods - Demon Girl

Attracted To Gods is the guitar & drums blues band led by Atmosphere’s guitar player Nathan Collis. Their Sinners & Saints album is pretty solid. I mainly put this one on for the Cecil Otter fans who download my play lists (y’know, all, um, none of you). Cecil chopped this one up for his own “Demon Girl.”

11. Brazilian Girls - Losing Myself

Oddly, my friends Jesse & Inga both turned me on to Brazilian Girls at the same time. They’re decent, but they’re kind of a joke too. I mean, French lyrics? If you’re not David Byrne, you’re not gonna pull this off. Great hook, though.

12. The Dandy Warhols - Minnesoter

The Dandy Warhols will always have a fan base in Minnesota thanks to these 180 seconds. Sure, that fan base is getting to be over 30 and probably won’t go to shows past 10:00 PM for much longer, but we’re still here! Nothing but love!

13. Bobby Caldwell - Open Your Eyes

I put this one on for all the Common fans who read my blog (fuck it, there are no Common fans reading this. Hell, there’s no Common fans WRITING this blog). Still, I bet when J Dilla found this song in his crates he fucking lost it. I’ve always said, the best thing about most Common records is the beats. The guys got talented friends.

14. Felt - Ghost Dance Deluxe

Speaking of talented friends, Aesop Rock’s beat owns this song. I won’t get into all again, but listen to those horns. Straight out of “Ghost Town.” Plus, Murs & Slug swearing off living girls to pull dead girls? Don’t you guys have enough girl problems?

15. Total Babe - Barebones

My favorite Minnesota-based Current song of the month. Not to knock the song, but this was more a case of "someone has to win." Come on, Minny, step ya game up.

16. Tom Waits - Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis

You know I’m no Tom Waits fan, but this one seemed appropriate. More for the Christmas/Minneapolis bit, not, y’know, the hooker bit..